Guidance Counsellor: Aimee Carter
PLEASE ALSO SEE GUIDANCE LINKS LISTED AT BOTTOM OF PAGE
MY BLUEPRINT- Sign In Link: www.myblueprint.ca/strait
* NEW Post Secondary Resource for Graduates Transitions, a beneficial guide that helps students to make the most of their time in university and college.
~ A REMINDER TO GRADUATES & PARENTS ~
It is the student's responsibility to research their own scholarship and bursary opportunities, including requests for all supporting documentation, such as transcripts (which must be requested in Student Services), reference letters, essays, etc.
Please note that students are to sign up for transcripts in the Student Services Area.
* Former graduates must go through the SRCE Office to request transcripts
Scholarship/ Bursary and Grad Information:
NOVA SCOTIA STUDENT ASSISTANCE (Student Loans)
The 2019-2020 post-secondary school year applicationwill be available in May 2019!
To apply online and for info about student loans:
Nova Scotia's leading source for finding scholarship money:
( NEW ) Community Foundation Of Nova Scotia ( Various Scholarships and Bursaries)
(NEW) Canada's free scholarship matching services for financial assistance:
Canada's scholarship website for scholarships, bursaries and grants. Also has information about student loans, applications, and budget planning.
For grant, scholarship and bursary funding, as well as employment and internship opportunities, news and information pertaining to students.
Government of Canada Aboriginal Bursaries Search Tool:
(Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada have information on over 750 bursaries)
Aboriginal students are encouraged to visit their website: www.aandc.gc.ca/bursaries
Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC)
Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards Page:
LIVE NOW for Students attending NSCC in Fall 2019 (Closes March 15th)
Scholarship Information and Applications:
All Graduates should look at Post Secondary (College and University) Websites to see updated information on Bursary and Scholarships Opportunities that are currently available to them.
Please click HERE for known Annual Post Secondary Instuition Scholarships and Bursaries
Terry Fox Humanitarian Award Program: Open to graduating secondary level students and those currently studying towards a first university degree or diploma in a Canadian post-secondary institution. The maximum award value is $28,000 dispersed over four years. For information, including award criteria and to apply online, please visit : http://www.terryfoxawards.ca
Deadline: February 1st, 2020
UNB Undergraduate Awards ( Entrance,The Currie Undergraduate, H Harrison McCain) Deadline March 1st : https://www.unb.ca/academics/calendar/undergraduate/current/awards/search/index.html
Nova Scotia Power Various Scholarships/Bursaries:
Emerging Leaders Scholarship
Four $2,500 awards to students entering any year of a full time post-secondary education program in the areas of Power Engineering, Power Line Technician, Instrumentation Tech, Engineering, Technology, Business, Marketing & Communications, Environmental Sciences or Law.
Deadline: March 29th, 2020
Women in Trades, Engineering, Technology & Innovation Scholarships
Six $2,500 awards to female students entering any year of a full time post-secondary education program in Trades or in the areas of Engineering, Technology and Innovation.
Deadline: March 29th, 2020
African Nova Scotian Scholarships
Four $2,500 awards to African Nova Scotian students entering any year of a full time post-secondary education program in the areas of Power Engineering, Power Line Technician, Instrumentation Tech, Engineering, Technology, Business, Marketing & Communications, Environmental Sciences or Law.
Deadline: March 29th , 2020
Nova Scotia Power Family Scholarships
Ten $1,000 awards to children/dependents of employees or retirees of Nova Scotia Power. These awards are available to students entering any year of a full time post-secondary education program.
Deadline: Match 29th, 2020
Four $1,000 awards are available to Mi’kmaw students entering any year of a full time post-secondary education program. Past recipient winners can re-apply each year.
Deadline: April 26th, 2020
Dr. John B Stewart University Scholarships: The Northern Nova Scotia Foundation is pleased to offer the Dr. John B Stewart Scholarships to graduates of High Schools located in Pictou, Antigonish, Guysborough, Inverness, Richmond, Victoria and Cape Breton counties who have been accepted into a full time undergraduate program at any Canadian university.
Applicants must be a graduate of a high school located Pictou, Antigonish, Guysborough, Inverness, Richmond, Victoria and Cape Breton counties in Nova Scotia and a permanent resident or citizen of Canada.
Applicants must be accepted into a full time undergraduate degree program at an accredited university in Canada.
Applicants must demonstrate financial need and should demonstrate some indication of leadership qualities in their communities. For further information and to apply please visit: http://nnsf.ca/how-to-apply/
Deadline: March 30th, 2019
Deadline: March 31st, 2020 (5pm)
John Abbass Scholarship: The John Abbass Scholarship Fund was established in the memory of John Abbass Sr. by CAFE Nova Scotia and is administered by the Family Enterprise Foundation. This $3000 Scholarship is awarded to children / grandchildren / nieces / nephews etc. of CAFE Nova Scotia members or family business owners in Nova Scotia and helps to promote post secondary business education pursuits. Applications are reviewed by the John Abbass Scholarship Committee with the award disbursed by the Family Enterprise Foundation to the winning candidate’s post secondary educational institution.Candidates must be a resident of Nova Scotia (may be attending an post secondary institution outside of Nova Scotia)
- Candidates must be a resident of Nova Scotia (may be attending a post-secondary institution outside of Nova Scotia).
- Candidates must be in the process of taking their first post-secondary educational pursuit.
- Candidates degree should have a business focus or be related to their family business.
- Candidates must have achieved a grade point average of 80%.
- Candidates will preferably have a family business background, interest in becoming involved in their family business or pursing their own business interests.
- Candidates must be applying for the first time – only one submission per applicant permitted.
For further information, including the application, please visit:https://familybusinessatlantic.ca/john-abbass-sr-memorial-scholarship/
Deadline:: March 31st, 2020
PAANS Scholarship for Students with Disabilities: Six scholarships in the amount of $1,500.00, five in the amount of $2,000.00, four in the amount of $1000.00 are anticipated to be available for the academic year beginning September 2020. To be considered, scholarship applicants must:
- Be a person with a permanent disability. 'Permanent Disability' means a limitation that restricts the ability of a person to perform the activities necessary to participate in educational activities or in the labour force within the range considered normal. This limitation is expected to remain with the person for life.
- Be a permanent resident of Nova Scotia
- Be entering or continuing studies, at the undergraduate level, in a Canadian post-secondary institution that is recognized by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada
- Not be involved in the selection process or be a close family member of any scholarship selection committee member.
The applications of candidates meeting the above considerations will be forwarded to the selection committee. Applications are evaluated on a number of factors including:
- Community involvement
- Extra-curricular activities
- Approach to overcoming barriers
- Academic performance
- Educational goals and direction
For further information, including application forms, please click HERE
Deadline: April 3rd, 2020
The Friends of Sable Island Society $1000 (CDN) Scholarship is open to any grade 12 student in the Nova Scotia school system.
- Monies must be applied to a post-secondary educational institution in 2020. Funds will be paid to the post-secondary institution on the student’s behalf.
- You are a journalist covering a “Breaking News” story about Sable Island. You can base your piece on a real event in any time period. Creativity is key.
- Areas of interest might include, but are not limited to, cultural or literary history, shipwrecks, salvage, government projects, wildlife, oil and gas activities, fresh water, tourism, meteorology, geomatics, conservation, fishery, conservation, military. Go to www.sableislandfriends.ca for more inspiration.
- The winning submission will be featured on our website.
- All submissions remain the intellectual property of the students.
- Submissions are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30th, 2020.
- Submissions are to be accompanied by a completed application form, (found on the Friends of Sable Island website), and reflective statement. Supporting documentation of a current resume and a transcript from the most recent reporting period indicating a grade point average of 75+ can be scanned and e-mailed to email@example.com or mailed to “Friends of Sable Island Society, PO Box 622, Halifax CRO, Halifax, NS B3J 2R7”.
- The reflective statement should be 250 words or less on what Sable Island means to you and why you have applied for this scholarship.
- All copyright rules must be followed, for example, permission to use music or other people’s images must be obtained and submitted with the application.
- Videos must be in one of the following formats: .MOV; .MPEG4; .AVI; .WMV.
- Pictures of artwork, photographs, or posters must be in high definition .JPG, .PNG or .PDF format.
- Document must be saved in .PDF
For further information and scholarship application forms please visit:http://sableislandfriends.ca/
Deadline: April 30th, 2020
Pengrowth-Nova Scotia Energy Scholarship for NSCC Students:
8 scholarships valued at $2,500 are awarded to students accepted into their first-year at NSCC for full-time studies in an energy-related trade or technology program. For a complete list of eligible NSCC programs and to apply, visit www.novascotia.ca/EnergyScholarship and follow the link to the NSCC student awards application portal.
Pengrowth-Nova Scotia Energy Scholarship for University Students:
8 scholarships valued at $10,000 ($2,500 renewable over 4 years) are awarded to students accepted into a bachelor’s degree program in business, science, or engineering. For more information and to apply, visit www.novascotia.ca/EnergyScholarship.
Deadline ( For Both): May 1st, 2020
Donald R. Sobey Award Program: The Donald R. Sobey Award is a $2,500 renewable award available to students entering NSCC on a full-time basis. It was established through a $4-million gift from the Donald R. Sobey Foundation. The Award is designed to: Encourage and assist students in obtaining potentially life-changing education, support students in strengthening their skills so they can secure meaningful employment and help students become role models in their communities.
To be eligible, applicants must:
Be referred by a community organization or law enforcement agency
- Be planning to enrol in a full-time program at the College
- Have unmet financial need
Award selection criteria
A selection committee will review the application and look at the following:
- Your financial situation and other reasons you should be considered for the award
- The supports you have in place with your referring organization, and how they will help you in achieving your education and career goals
For further information and to apply please visit: https://www.nscc.ca/admissions/scholarships_and_bursaries/donald-r-sobey-bursary-program.asp
RBC Future Launch Scholarship- The RBC Future Launch Scholarship will be awarded to those who show passion and a clear vision for their future.
- For youth enrolled part time in school or not in school at all
- Grades and transcripts are not required
- Over 400 scholarships available throughout 2020
The $1,500 scholarship can be used for many different things, including:
- Short-term courses
- Necessary equipment or books etc,
For further information, including the application, please click HERE
Nova Scotia Talent Trust: a registered charity that provides scholarships to Nova Scotians that are studying in the arts.
Their annual scholarships include theatre, film/new media, literary arts, dance, music, voice, circus arts, visual arts, and design.
They support young artists from the start with scholarships for private studies, summer camps (dance intensives, music, visual arts...) and studies at University and NSCC.
March 1 at 5:00 p.m. AST (Atlantic Standard Time) for Spring/Summer study May 1 - August 31, 2020.
May 1 at 5:00 p.m. ADST (Atlantic Daylight Saving Time) for Fall/Winter study September 1 - December 31, 2020 and/or January 1 - April 30, 2021.
More information can be found on their website at:
New Canadian Education Award: Community Foundation of Nova Scotia (CFNS) is pleased to announce the creation of a new award that helps to provide access to training, education, or accreditation for those looking to start their post-secondary journeys or with established careers in other countries. This fund is for new immigrants and their children.
The New Canadian Education Award was established by Marta Mihoff and her husband, Derek Broughton, in honour of Marta's grandfather, Leo Mihoff, who immigrated to Canada from Bulgaria around 1920. It was important to Leo that his eldest child, a daughter, go to university, and told her the only thing which cannot be taken from you is education.
Applicants will need the following:
- Proof of immigration - yours or your parent(s)
- Two reference letters
- Proof of enrollment at a post-secondary institution or in an accreditation program
- An explanation of why you are eligible for this award
- A story about an experience in your life that was important to you
- An explanation of financial need
- A clearly-defined learning plan
Deadline for applications is April 30th, 2020.
The Royal Canadian Legion Nova Scotia/Nunavut Command Scholarships and Bursaries
The following website for NS Nunavut Command gives the applications for bursaries/ scholarships for all NS students.
Deadline: April 15, 2020.
MINISTER’S AWARDS FOR CREATIVE EXCELLENCE IN THE ARTS
- The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development has partnered with the arts community to recognize grade 12 students who excel in visual arts, performing arts, digital multimedia and music.
- Four winners will receive scholarships to help them pursue post-secondary studies in the creative arts.
- Students can apply to one of the 4 awards:
- Art Gallery of Nova Scotia Award for Excellence in Visual Arts (includes ceramics, computer-generated art, drawing, mixed media, painting, photography, printmaking and sculpture)
- Award for Excellence in Performing Arts (includes performance art forms such as circus, dance, improv, music, spoken word and theatre)
- Award for Excellence in Digital Multimedia (includes digital multimedia such as animation, video and intermedia)
- Charlie A’Court Scholarship for Excellence in Music (CASEM)
- Three $1000 scholarships will be granted according to overall merit (not necessarily one each in the categories of visual arts, performing arts and digital multimedia). CASEM includes a $500 award and a mentorship with musical artist Charlie A’Court.
- In addition, up to 15 students will be selected as finalists and will each receive $100
- A celebration event honouring the winners and finalists will be held in Halifax on Thursday, June 11. Details to follow.
- Apply here: https://novascotia.ca/creativeaward/
Deadline: April 24, 2020
National Union of Public and General Employees
- Offering 6 scholarships of $2500 each to students who plan to enter the 1st year of a public post-secondary educational institution full time in 2020-2021 and who are children/grandchildren or foster children/grandchildren of a National union member or retiree.
- For more information and application forms please see your Guidance Teacher or visit their website: https://nupge.ca/content/national-unions-scholarship-program-2020
- Deadline: Monday, July 6th, 2020
Scholarship Program for African Nova Scotian (Black) Students
- The following scholarships are available to African Nova Scotia (Black) Students:
- University Entrance Scholarship of $4500 Deadline: May 29, 2020
- Post-Secondary Scholarship of $2500 Deadline: July 31, 2020
- Community College/Trade School Award of $1800 Deadline is July 31, 2020
- Performing Arts Award of $1000 Deadline: July 31, 2020
- More detailed criteria can be found at www.ednet.ns.ca/acs/
- Contact your Guidance Teacher for application forms
Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture is offering a new scholarship to graduating students from a Canadian high school and are attending a post-secondary program (diploma or degree). The $4000 award will be provided to six Canadian students.
To enter, students must record a 2-4 minute video describing their vision for the future of agriculture and submit it through the G3 Beyond website.
Deadline: April 1, 2020
For more information: http://www.g3growbeyond.org
STFX Information Session January 30th . For further information please visit:
National Youth Engagement Week at RCMP Training Academy: The RCMP will invite 32 grade 12 students from across Canada to attend the Police Training Academy in Regina, Saskatchewan from March 23 to 27, 2020 inclusively (travelling to Regina on the 23rdand returning on the 27th). Costs associated with travel, accommodations and meals will be covered by the RCMP. At this time only two (2) students will be selected from NS. This is a fantastic opportunity for students who are interested in a career in law enforcement to actually experience a week of what training in the RCMP looks like. Only a select number of students will be chosen for an interview during the month of February. Last year NS had over 160 applicants so please encourage all youth to make their application stand out. The successful candidates will be informed during the first week of March 2020. If selected, they will be subject to a criminal record check. The attached application must be completed and retured by midnight EST on January 31st, 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants may access the application HERE
Holland College Open House -Saturday February 1st. For more informtation and to register please visit: http://www.hollandcollege.com/
Delmore "Buddy" Day Learning Institute African Nova Scotan History Chellenge. Bursaries and prizes totalling $3000. For more information please visit: https://dbdli.ca/community-youth/the-2020-african-nova-scotian-history-challenges/
Deadline: February 7th, 2020
University of King’s College information session in Sydney on February 21st from 2-3:30 p.m. at the Membertou Trade and Convention Centre.
University of King's College Open House March 20th. For more information and to register please visit:
Oulton Collge Open House April 4th, 2020. For more informtation please visit:https://oultoncollege.com/open-house/